Council approves $672,780 in sidewalk funding
The City Council has approved a total of $672,780 to replace or repair sidewalks for low-income senior citizen homeowners, provide safe routes to schools and facilitate pedestrian access to DART bus stops.
Property owners will be notified by mail to gauge their interest in participating in the sidewalk replacement program. Selection will be on a first come, first serve basis, and priority will be given to two or more homes adjacent to each other.
Recommended safe routes to schools projects are:
• El Centro Drive from Fontana to Manana Drive impacting Stephen C. Foster Elementary School
• Lake Highlands Drive, west from Country Club Drive to Lullwater Drive impacting Robert T Hill Middle School
• Neches Street from Madison to Eldorado Avenue impacting James S. Hogg Elementary School
• Forney Road north from Jim Miller Road to Urban Drive; replacing the damaged sidewalk west of Buckner Boulevard impacting Skyline High School
• Walmsley from Montclair to Winnetka Avenue, impacting Sydney Lanier Expressive Arts Vanguard
City staff also recommended $272,500 for sidewalk repairs to facilitate DART bus stop access. City staff will work closely with DART to develop recommended locations with priority based on daily boarding numbers and/or existing conditions.
For more information and maps of the areas discussed click here.