Benefits information for Dallas shelter guests

Benefits information for Dallas shelter guests

Hot Foods Waiver
Households in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) can use their benefits to buy hot foods and hot food products from any SNAP retailer (such as grocery stores or convenience stores) in Texas, with their Electronic Benefit Transfer (EBT) cards through September 30, 2017.

SNAP Replacement Benefits
SNAP recipients are eligible for replacement SNAP benefits if their food was destroyed due to fire, flood, tornado, accident, or other similar events. Individuals or their Authorized Representatives must sign and submit a Form H1855, Affidavit for Nonreceipt or Destroyed Food Stamp Benefits, to claim destroyed food. SNAP recipients may submit the Form H1855 at any local eligibility office to request replacement benefits.

Medicaid Replacement Cards
If Medicaid clients need a replacement Medicaid card due to the card being lost or destroyed, a replacement card can be printed from their YourTexasBenefits account on

Lone Star EBT Replacement Cards
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) or SNAP clients who need a replacement EBT card because theirs was lost or destroyed can visit a local HHSC office where staff can provide a replacement EBT card, or call the Lone Star Help Desk at 1-800-777-7EBT (1-800-777-7328) to request a replacement card that will be mailed to the client.

Women, Infants and Children (WIC) participants who evacuated and lost or left behind WIC foods or formula already purchased can go to any open WIC clinic to get replacement food benefits. Visit or call 800-942-3678. If you are in an area affected by Harvey please press option 3 to speak with an operator from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday and have them help you find an open location.

  • If you need breastfeeding assistance please call our lactation support hotline 855-550-6667 for 24/7 support.

Federal Emergency Management
The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has announced programs to help Texans with home repairs, debris removal and other issues. Visit their website for details.

Disaster Distress Helpline
Call the Disaster Distress Helpline at 800-985-5990 if you’d like to get help with the stress of dealing with the storm and the recovery. The line is sponsored by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.

Assistance through 2-1-1
For disaster-related assistance that may be available locally, households can call 2-1-1, Option 5, toll-free, 24 hours-a-day or visit the 2-1-1 website. In some cases, cell phones or out of state callers may have difficulty calling 2-1-1. These individuals can call the following alternate toll-free number – 1-877-541-7905, and select Option 5.

If you need help finding shelter, food or even disaster services for your pets, dial 2-1-1. Here are just some of the things 2-1-1 can help you with:

  • Shelter Locations 
  • Evacuation Information 
  • Donation Information 
  • Food and Water 
  • Disaster Services for Animals 
  • Federal Disaster Assistance 
  • Damage Reporting 
  • Volunteer Opportunities 
  • Questions about your SNAP food benefits, Medicaid or TANF 

Share this: