Dallas Public Library Winter Backpack challenge helping homeless
The Dallas Public Library is asking you to help your neighbors stay warm this winter by participating in the Winter Backpack Challenge through Saturday Nov. 21. The library’s homeless outreach is part of National Hunger and Homelessness Awareness Week.
“We’re asking people to work with friends, family or co-workers to fill a backpack with new or gently used items,” said Director of Libraries Jo Giudice. The backpacks will be distributed to individuals experiencing homelessness at 2 p.m. Nov. 25 on the first floor of the Central Library, 1515 Young St.
- Wool or fleece blanket
- Large cotton sweatshirt or long-johns
- Rain poncho
- Socks, gloves, scarf, hat
- Travel-size toiletries, such as lotion, mouthwash, deodorant, soap, etc.
- Boxed juice and granola bars
- Deck of cards or dominos
- Gift cards to McDonald’s, Subway, CVS or other nearby food places
- Adventure novel or inspirational book
- Personal note of encouragement
Backpacks can be dropped off at the Dallas Central Library, 1515 Young St., or any Dallas branch library location through Nov. 21. People can donate a bag with everything on the list or just individual items.
For more information contact Jasmine Africawala at (214) 670-1635 or [email protected].