Dallas Fire Rescue Celebrates National Fire Prevention Week October 8-15
This Year’s Theme is “Cooking Safety starts with YOU. Pay Attention to Fire Prevention.”
Nationally, cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and home fire injuries. Unattended cooking is the leading cause of cooking fires and deaths, according to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA).
Dallas Fire Rescue encourages residents to adopt these safety measures:
- Stay Present: Never leave the kitchen when cooking on the stovetop. If you must leave, turn off the burners.
- Clear the Area: Keep flammable objects like towels, paper towels, and curtains away from cooking appliances.
- Regular Maintenance: Regularly clean stovetops and ovens to prevent grease buildup.
- Timers and Alarms: Use timers and alarms to remind you of cooking times or potential hazards.
- Smoke Alarms: Install and maintain smoke alarms in your home, especially in and around the kitchen.
- Fire Extinguishers: Keep a working fire extinguisher within reach and know how to use it for small kitchen fires.
Representatives from Dallas Fire Rescue’s Education Team will be available Oct. 8-13 for the following demonstrations:
- Safe Stovetop or Oven Cooking: What to do should a fire start on your stovetop or in your oven.
- Smoke Alarm Testing: Demonstrate how to test and maintain a smoke alarm, emphasizing the importance of regular checks.
- Grease Fire Safety: Show viewers how to respond to a grease fire using a lid to smother flames, not water.
- Fire Extinguisher Usage: Provide a step-by-step guide on properly using a fire extinguisher for small kitchen fires using a training fire extinguisher prop.
For more information, please email [email protected].