Top tips for safe driving during winter weather
Road conditions can quickly turn dangerous when driving during winter weather conditions. If you don’t have to get on the road, don’t. If you do, we have a list of the top tips for safe driving during winter weather conditions, courtesy of TxDOT.
- Slow down. Speed limits are based on normal road and weather conditions, not winter weather.
- Maintain at least three times the normal following distance on snow or ice.
- Watch carefully for snow removal equipment and stay at least 200 feet behind snow plows.
- Use extra caution on bridges, ramps, overpasses, and shaded areas as they tend to freeze first.
- If your vehicle starts to slide, ease off the gas pedal or brakes. Steer into the direction of the skid until you have regained traction. Then straighten your vehicle.
Pay attention to your local news sources for updates on winter weather.
For roadside assistance call (800) 525-5555.
For current road information call (800) 452-9292.