Five tips for a safe Halloween
Your costume might be scary, but your night shouldn’t be.
As October draws to a close, make sure you and your kids stay safe this Halloween with tips from Dallas Police Department.
- Kids should always be accompanied by trusted adults or friends when trick-or-treating.
- Plan trick-or-treating route ahead of time, picking well-lit streets and familiar neighborhoods.
- Walk, don’t run, and stick to sidewalks. Look both ways when you cross the street and use crosswalks when available.
- Check candy for choking hazards and only eat prepackaged treats, not homemade ones.
- Make sure children have contact information of the adults they are trick-or-treating with in case they become separated.
Senior Corporal Binh Vu of the Dallas Police Department says to keep everyone safe, it is imperative to drive slower than usual through neighborhoods, especially if it rains.“Choose bright, visible costumes,” he suggests to trick-or-treaters. “You should always be alert while walking or crossing the street.”
Before you head out on Halloween night, read DPD’s full list of safety tips to keep you and your family safe.