Dallas Fire-Rescue’s Station 27 opens
Dallas City Council member Jennifer Staubach Gates, Fire Chief Louie Bright III and members of the Dallas Fire-Rescue Department officiated at the opening Dec. 10 of replacement Fire Station #27, located at 8401 Douglas Ave. In service since December 2, the three-story (two above-ground) fire station replaces the old one, previously located on the same plot of land, which had served the City since 1948.
Station 27 will house four firefighters per shift, though the nearly 24,000 square-foot facility can hold up to 18 firefighters, if needed. Total cost of the building was $7.9 million, funded by a 2006 bond package. Accommodations include 18 underground parking spaces, updated offices, dining and kitchen area with stainless steel appliances, bathrooms, showering and sleeping areas.
The station will also feature stained concrete floors, bi-fold style, horizontally-opening, front bay doors (which open in a fraction of the time it takes to open the traditional over-head rolling doors) and an elevator; which, along with underground parking, is a first for any Dallas fire station
The station is Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) registered. An internationally-recognized green building certification system, and developed by the U.S. Green Building Council, LEED provides building owners and operators a framework for identifying and implementing practical and measureable green building design, construction, operations and maintenance solutions.